Sunday, October 2, 2011

Syracuse University

Since I am in New York visiting my brother, I thought it would be convenient to make the hour and a half drive from Rochester to check out Syracuse University. Since it is on my list of MFA potentials, "seeing is believing" I thought as I arrived on campus. What I encountered was internet frustration translated to reality. Just as many MFA websites are extremely vague, there wasn't really much "hook" in the Creative Writing department at SU. And by department I mean one office tucked into the Language Arts building. The secretary informed me most of the information was available online since they are being environmentally savvy and not printing information. Okay, fine. But when I mentioned talking to faculty or students she made it clear that she had nothing to do with their scheduling and I would have to contact them and hope someone would have time to talk with me. I understand that MFA programs are often inundated with applications -- but it seems they would be well-served to provide students who actually take the time and care to show up at the school some more information and consideration. That's just my opinion I suppose but it's hard to believe that an extremely small program made up of 10-15-20+ students can't seem to pull together someone who can sit down for a conversation. That being said, the secretary was very cordial and friendly. I don't mean to imply I got the cold shoulder during my visit -- just that I was generally unimpressed with the enthusiasm to attract inquiring students. Then again, I guess if you're not hurting for applicants, why put the money into promotion or recruitment considerations.

That said, visiting SU gave me little idea of what the program is, what I might expect, and what the writing community is like. Disappointing I'm afraid. I did walk around the campus and was generally impressed with the beautiful architecture (apparently, Hogwarts is there) and historic buildings. But there was little electric. Very little "zing" about being on campus. Maybe my standards are too high but when I went to Evergreen for the first time, I remember distinctly thinking "this is it. This is where I need to be." I guess I'm just hoping for a similar experience with an MFA program. In all fairness, this is the first MFA program I've actually visited so I'll use this as a learning experience if I am able to visit other MFA programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment